The innovative slow filtration system for efficient reduction and maintenance of phosphates
A phosphate concentration of 0.05 mg/l or less is optimal for coral reef aquariums. At this low concentration, stony corals, in particular, grow very well and exhibit vivid coloration. Increased levels of phosphates, however, inhibit calcium carbonate formation and consequently slow down skeleton growth. At the same time, they lead to a loss in color, causing a brownish coloration in corals. Tropic Marin® offers the ELIMI-CONTROL Phosphate filter system to lower high concentrations and to maintain an optimal range of these detrimental compounds.
The Tropic Marin® ELIMI-CONTROL Phosphate filter set is an innovative slow filtration system for efficient reduction and maintenance of phosphates. The system comprises a pump and a replaceable filter cartridge filled with phosphate adsorbers, which can be used, replaced and extended with ease, independent of other filter systems.The slow controllable flow through the filter in conjunction with highly effective adsorbing materials ensures that the ELIMI-CONTROL filter system reduces the concentration of pollutants to zero in just one cycle. The proper functioning of the phosphate adsorber should be checked at regular intervals by taking phosphate measurements at the filter outlet and in the aquarium. In this way it is possible to determine the status of filter depletion long before the aquarium phosphate concentration rises by taking measurements. The phosphate adsorber is depleted if the phosphate content at the filter outlet is no longer below the phosphate concentration of the water in the aquarium. That’s when the cartridge should be replaced with a new one immediately. Doing so ensures that the phosphate concentration is kept low permanently before coming to find that the adsorber is depleted because of increased concentration levels in the aquarium.
• Innovative slowfilter-system for efficient reduction and maintenance of phosphates • Optimal adsorption and maximum usage of the adsorption capacity by regulating filter flow rate • 100% control of adsorption media activity and early indication of media exhaustion • One-way-cartridge for easy, clean and quick replacement of the media • Designed for aquariums holding up 600 l / 160 US-gal net of water volume • Can be expanded with the special additional cartridges to fit large aquariums of any size • Expandable and versatile by varied filter media • Easy to use and independent of other filter systems – place anywhere in tank or sump • Secure use with 12V-pump
How to use:
Different flow rates affect the amount of adsorbed phosphates. Higher flow rates bind more phosphates than lower flow rates.
There are two different cases when it comes to the elimination of phosphate:
1. Reduce elevated phosphate concentrations
In this case the flow rate is adjusted according to the specifications mentioned above to 1 percent of the aquarium volume per hour, 6 l/h (1.58 gal./h) at a maximum. The reduced flow rate ensures that the aquarium water is completely cleaned in one cycle. With this setting the phosphate content at the filter outlet usually amounts to 0.0 mg/l (ppm) of phosphate.
2. Stabilization of the phosphate concentrations at a low level
All organisms require traces of phosphate; 0.00 mg/l (ppm) of phosphate in an aquarium does not suffice. If a low phosphate concentration [0.05 mg/l (ppm) or less for coral reef aquaria] is to be stabilized on this low level by using the ELIMICONTROL Filter, it may be useful to set the flow rate below 1 percent of the aquarium volume per hour. The aquarium may otherwise indicate a lack of phosphates.
Measurements can be taken to check the effect of phosphate adsorption. The phosphate adsorber is depleted if the phosphate content at the filter outlet is no longer below the phosphate concentration of the water in the aquarium. That’s when the cartridge should be replaced with a new one immediately.
Packing Contents of the ELIMI-CONTROL PHOSPHATE filter set:
– 1 x 12 V pump with cable set and adapter for 4/6 mm and a power supply unit
– 1 x disposable cartridge filled with Tropic Marin® ELIMI-PHOS Longlife (phosphate adsorber)
– 1 x drain hose; 1 x butterfly valve; 3 x suction cup holders for mounting the filter set
We recommend replacing a used filter cartridge by an ELIMI-CONTROL PHOSPHATE Replacement Cartridge.
We recommend expanding the ELIMI-CONTROL Basis Set by one or several ELIMI-CONTROL Additional Cartridge without pumps for basins that hold more than 600 liters as well as for smaller aquaria that have to endure severe water stress. The supplement cartridges have two hose nipples for filling or draining with water and can be connected to the standard cartridge and the pump.
Please also refer to the instruction manual for ELIMI-CONTROL FILTER SET.
Filter set 53001
Additional Cartridge 53011
Replacement Cartridge 53021